This webinar is one in a series celebrating Data Privacy Month 2012.
Speakers: Kathleen M. Styles, Chief Privacy Officer, U.S. Department of Education and Michael B. Hawes, Statistical Privacy Advisor, U.S. Department of Education
The Department of Education administers the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and recently established a Chief Privacy Officer position to coordinate federal technical assistance on privacy and confidentiality to the education community. Kathleen will discuss ED’s privacy initiatives, both in schools and in connection with student longitudinal databases. The presentation will cover recently issued and forthcoming guidance documents and regulation changes. She and Michael Hawes will also discuss the difficult balance in releasing student data, about the need to both be transparent and protect privacy through disclosure avoidance.
Recommended Links for the January 25 Webinar:
- Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO)
- Privacy Technical Assistance Center (PTAC)
- Department of Education Best Practices and Guidance Resources
- Guidance on Reasonable Methods and Written Agreements
- Data Stewardship: Managing Personally Identifiable Information in Electronic Student Education Records
- Basic Concepts and Definitions for Privacy and Confidentiality in Student Education Records
- Responding to IT Security Audits: Improving Data Security Practices
- Data Security: Top Threats to Data Protection
- Data Security Checklist
- Data Governance and Stewardship
- Data Governance Checklist
- Data Security and Management Training: Best Practice Considerations