The EDUCAUSE Library is the preeminent clearing house for information about timely topics and research supporting the use and management of technology in higher education. It aggregates over 22,000 resources submitted by EDUCAUSE, EDUCAUSE Research, EDUCAUSE Teaching and Learning Program, EDUCAUSE Cybersecurity and Privacy Program, Grant programs and our members.
General resources include articles, books, conference sessions, multimedia, plans, policies, webinars and blog content. Further explore the library with our various search filters.
Content Submitted and Collected
Specific resources include;
About Our Publications
EDUCAUSE, and its affiliates, publish a number of articles, books, monographs, reports, white papers and more.
- The Center for Higher Education CIO Studies Reports. Effective January 2019, the Center for Higher Education CIO Studies (CHECS) research has been transferred to EDUCAUSE.
- EDUCAUSE Review is the association's magazine for the higher education IT community. Published bimonthly in print (22,000 distributed copies) and online (over 50,000 visits per month), the magazine takes a broad look at current developments and trends in information technology, how they may affect the college/university as an institution, and what these mean for higher education and society.
- EDUCAUSE 7 Things You Should Know series provides quick, no-jargon overviews of emerging technologies and related practices affecting higher education. Updated: Now includes all the previous ELI 7 Things You Should Know.
- EDUCAUSE Papers are overviews of key higher education issues. They provide some basic, but also current, information on the status of particular topic area.
- Core Data Service Reports - The EDUCAUSE Core Data Service (CDS) is a benchmarking service used by colleges and universities since 2002 to inform their IT strategic planning and management. Individuals at eligible colleges and universities participate using an online hub in which they contribute and download data and view EDUCAUSE analysis and reports.
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Guide is a compendium of information providing guidance on effective approaches to the application of information security at institutions of higher education. It is a key publication of the
- Cybersecurity Program
- EDUCAUSE Research
- Working Group papers focus on emerging technologies important to colleges and universities.
- Case Studies are Institution-specific or topic-specific reports designed to exemplify important themes, trends, and experiences in the management of information technology investments and activities. Case Studies relate to, and are undertaken as part of, specific ECAR Research Studies.
- Infographics are Illustrations and graphics relating to ECAR research.
- Research Bulletins are frequent electronic updates provide an overview of key IT developments and illustrate their impact on higher education. Research Bulletins provide concise, insightful analyses of current topics that may range from products/services to policy.
- Research Reports
- Research Hubs are substantial research efforts around a specific topic that include a collection of cohort research.
- Survey Instruments survey instruments used for ECAR research.
- EDUCAUSE Teaching and Learning Program Publications -
- ELI 7 Things You Should Know series provided quick, no-jargon overviews of emerging technologies and related practices that have demonstrated or may demonstrate positive learning impacts. As of July 2023, the ELI 7 Things merged with the EDUCAUSE 7 Things You Should Know
- ELI Briefs are short summaries of an institutional case, an example of a teaching and learning issue in practice, a short position paper, or an issue update.
- ELI Papers and Reports are overviews of key higher education teaching and learning issues. They provide some basic, but also current, information on the status of particular topic area.
- Horizon Report The annual Horizon Report is a collaborative effort between the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative and the New Media Consortium (NMC). Each year, the report identifies six areas of emerging technology likely to have a significant impact on teaching and learning in higher education over the next one, three, and five years. Web links to additional resources and examples are provided for each technology cited.
- Seeking Evidence of Impact papers discuss the gathering evidence of the impact of teaching and learning innovations and current practices.
- New Media Consortium (NMC) The New Media Consortium (NMC) was acquired by EDUCAUSE in February 2018. All the NMC publications are available in the EDUCAUSE library.
- EDUCAUSE Quarterly (EQ) was an online, peer-reviewed, practitioner's journal from EDUCAUSE about managing and using information resources in higher education. EQ is published in an online-only format with multimedia (graphics, live links, audio, and video) and community-building applications that enhance the magazine’s value. EDUCAUSE Quarterly is longer published in its current format. EQ content/topics are covered in the EDUCAUSE Review online site, launched early June 2012.
About the EDUCAUSE Taxonomy
The EDUCAUSE Taxonomy, an expert-created listing of over 200 terms, helps you more easily explore topics and find specific documents in the association’s extensive collection of online information resources. The EDUCAUSE Taxonomy is applied to all library resources. It is divided into seven categories. Each topic is further broken down into subtopics.
The EDUCAUSE Library Collection Policy
The Library collection includes EDUCAUSE publications, resource pages, conference sessions and resources from other organizations. The EDUCAUSE Library collection is selected in relation to the needs and interests of the EDUCAUSE member community. EDUCAUSE strives to provide vendor neutral resources.
Archive of EDUCAUSE Content
The EDUCAUSE Library maintains a digital archive of all EDUCAUSE publications that were originally published in an electronic format.
- All EDUCAUSE documents
- Non-EDUCAUSE documents – 5 years
EDUCAUSE strives to make its resources accessible to as many people as possible. If you encounter any issues while accessing our resources, please contact member services at 303-449-4430, [email protected], or see the Contact Us section.
EDUCAUSE Library Resources FAQ
Does EDUCAUSE still publish the "Pocket Guide to Higher Education"?
No. But if you can find updated statistics from the pocket guide at the following locations
How can I purchase a copy of the "Educating the Net Generation", "Learning Spaces" or "Cultivating Careers" books?
These books are all available electronically for free. If you would like a bound paper copy, you may purchase them through Amazon.com.
Let us know if you have a resource to contribute to the EDUCAUSE Library.