Blended Learning in Practice: Introduction to Case Studies from Leading Schools
In the summer of 2011, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation initiated a series of investments intended to build a stronger evidence base within the emerging field of blended learning. This included direct investments in five charter management organizations (CMOs) that utilize blended learning: Alliance College-Ready Public Schools, FirstLine Schools, KIPP LA Schools, Rocketship Education, and Summit Public Schools. The Foundation also supported a series of case studies on these schools developed by FSG. The case studies seek to address the following questions about each operator’s experience implementing blended learning:
- Why did each school decide to “go blended” and what were the key steps of this journey?
- What does blended learning look like in a classroom? What is the blended learning experience like for students and teachers?
- What operational and financial supports enable blended learning at each school?
- What are the strengths of each school’s model and where have schools seen common challenges?
- What lessons can be drawn from the early experiences of these blended learning schools?
Each case study provides information about the school and its operator's journey to blended learning, instructional model, operational model, financial model, and lessons learned. This introductory report offers key learnings across the five case studies, an overview of each school's model.
Prepared by FSG. Written by Brad Bernatek, Jeffrey Cohen, John Hanlon, and Matthew Wilka