Analytics is one of higher education’s top IT-related issues. Institutions need solid methods for campus BI/data reporting and analytics to support campus priorities and decision-making. We’ve reached an inflection point where the maturation of analytics tools and the amount of data available have reached critical mass to engage in data informed solutions. Analytics can provide insight in areas such as reducing students’ time to degree, improving student learning outcomes, targeted recruitment, business process optimization, alumni relationship management, and increasing research productivity. In 2015 EDUCAUSE will update and extend the 2012 ECAR analytics study to understand the nature, magnitude, and future directions of analytics in higher education and provide guidance to institutions enhancing or developing analytics programs.
Report and Supporting Materials
The survey instrument and slide presentations will be open access. All other materials will be available to ECAR subscribers only for the first five months after publication. Subscribe to receive all ECAR research and analysis about IT in higher education.
Current Landscape of Analytics in Higher Education
This report will refresh the findings of the 2012 ECAR study as well as touch on analytics issues that have emerged over the past few years.
- What are the strongest motivators of investments in institutional or learning analytics?
- How advanced is higher education in its use of data to inform decisions, and how does that compare with other industries?
- Which staffing roles and levels do analytics programs have today, and actually need?
- What are the greatest concerns about the use of data in analytics?
Institutional Analytics in Higher Education
This report will explore the current state of higher education institutional analytics and identify the foundational elements of effective, efficient, and adaptable institutional analytics tools. It will also identify the issues institutions are trying to solve with institutional analytics, assess readiness to make decisions with analytics, and look toward the future of institutional analytics in higher education.
Learning Analytics in Higher Education
Principal Investigators: EDUCAUSE researchers and Glenda Morgan , Gartner Research Director
This report will explore the current state of learning analytics in higher education and identify the foundational elements of effective, efficient, and adaptable learning analytics tools. It will also identify the types of problems institutions are trying to solve with learning analytics, assess readiness to make decisions with analytics, explore the impact of learning analytics on student retention and success, and look toward the future of learning analytics in higher education.
Related EDUCAUSE Resources
- View all EDUCAUSE Analytics Resources
- 2012 ECAR Study of Analytics in Higher Education
- 2015 EDUCAUSE Administrative IT Summit, "Analytics as a Strategic Asset"
- The CIO Minute: Administrative Systems as a Strategic Asset, video with Gordon Wishon, CIO, Arizona State University