2017 Student and Faculty Technology Research Studies
This hub provides findings from the 2017 student and faculty studies in the EDUCAUSE Technology Research in the Academic Community research series. ECAR collaborated with 157 institutions to collect responses from 13,451 faculty respondents across 7 countries about their technology experiences. ECAR also collaborated with 124 institutions to collect responses from 43,559 undergraduate students across 10 countries about their technology experiences.
This research explores technology ownership, use patterns, and expectations as they relate to the student experience. Colleges and universities use these findings to better engage students in the learning process, improve IT services, plan for technology shifts that impact students, and become more technologically competitive among peer institutions.
Enhancing Student Academic Success with Technology, added May 8, 2019, presents findings from students' open-ended responses gathered in 2017 on the "one thing" that their institution and instructors could do with technology to enhance their academic success.
Report and Supporting Materials
- Student Report
- Student Academic Success Report PDF
- Student Academic Success Report HTML
- Faculty Report
- Faculty Research Support
- Learning Environment Report
- Student Data Almanac
- Faculty Data Almanac
- EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar
- EDUCAUSE 2017 Session Slides
- Student Survey Instrument
- Faculty Survey Instrument
The ECAR student and faculty research is publicly available.
Events that include discussion of this year’s findings and next year’s survey:
EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 31 – November 3, 2017, in Philadelphia
- Wednesday, November 1, Breakout Session: The 2017 ECAR Faculty and Student Technology Surveys
- Wednesday, November 1, Meet and Mingle on Making Better Decisions with Data, Research, and Analytics
- Thursday, November 2, Poster Session: The 2017 ECAR Faculty and Student Technology Surveys
EDUCAUSE Live! Webinar, November 30, 2017, The IT Experiences of Faculty and Students: 2017 ECAR Findings