This research focuses on the evolving IT workforce needed to support contemporary models of IT service delivery and the emerging world of analytics. ECAR will characterize the current higher education IT workforce; assess the organizational climate; and explore the roles, competencies, and career trajectories of four specific professional roles. The research will help our community to reinvest in the IT workforce by defining professional competencies and laying the foundation for tools that can guide professional development and career planning.
Reports and Supporting Materials
IT Leadership Role Reports
These reports analyze the skills needed to prepare for and fulfill functional roles, and are intended for aspirants, those in the roles now, and their IT managers and leaders. Reports will be linked as they are published.
- Chief Data Officer
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Information Security Officer
- Enterprise Architect
Career Trajectory Interactive Graphics
These interactive graphics analyze the career paths of IT employees using data about their previous positions, their current positions, and their future career plans. Interactives will be linked as they are published.
- Across Sectors
- Within Sector
The survey instruments above are open access. All other materials will be available to ECAR subscribers only for the first five months after publication. Subscribe to receive all ECAR research and analysis about IT in higher education.
- EDUCAUSE Review May/June 2016 issue: "The Future of Work"
- Retaining the Higher Education IT Workforce
- The CIO Minute: CIO and CISO
- Technology in Higher Education: Guiding Aspiring Leaders
- Technology in Higher Education: Defining the Strategic Leader
- Technology in Higher Education: Information Security Leadership
- Today's Higher Education IT Workforce
- The Chief Information Officer in Higher Education, 2015 Reports